BOXBAY – the future is vertical
BOXBAY is an international joint venture formed by global trade enabler DP World and industrial engineering specialists SMS group. The two companies are partners to the BOXBAY Joint Venture, to which they contribute their respective knowhow and expertise. The BOXBAY system is marketed worldwide. The High Bay Storage system was originally developed by SMS group subsidiary AMOVA for round the clock handling of metal coils that weigh as much as 50 tons each in racks as high as 50 meters. AMOVA is the first company to transfer this proven technology to the port industry.
2018 – Set up of joint ventures
July 2019 – Start of Building
January 2021 – Construction completed & start of commissioning
March 2021 – 10,000 moves
July 2021 – Test of POC completed
November 2021 – 100,000 moves
December 2021 – TOC Middle East 2021
Oct. 2021 - Mar. 2022 – Expo 2020 Dubai UAE
June 2022 – TOC Europe 2022
October 2022 – German Award for Supply Chain Management 2022
March 2023 – Signing ceremony first commercial order - PNC Busan
»We could hardly believe that we had come up with a solution that the logistics industry had been working on for more than 40 years. Backed up by our parent company SMS group and our joint venture partner DP World, we have the necessary resources and the support to make our idea become reality. I believe that without such strong assets and economic power you shouldn't tackle a project like this. We are very happy that we have got both.«
Bernd Klein, CEO of AMOVA
Purpose and Vision
- The current, worldwide disruption in the just-in-time flow is not the only issue; rather, the symptoms of the already chronic lack of space in many ports are now becoming apparent and the problems associated with it can occur again at any time.
- BOXBAY wants to solve the acute problem the global supply chain is currently experiencing, but also prevent similar negative disruptions in the movement of goods by creating new free space for logistics chains and port operators.
- With BOXBAY the port of the future is not only faster and smarter but also greener.
- BOXBAY wants to implement an autonomous, eco-friendly and sustainable High Bay Storage solution for ports which sets a whole series of new standards-
- There is no other system that fulfills such a wide range of requirements and has been designed with as much responsibility and consideration for the environment and sustainability as well as the people who work in the ports or live in neighborhood of ports.
- BOXBAY wants to set a benchmark, especially for future generations, that shows that economic efficiency and sustainability are no contradiction but that the two complement each other very well – if done in the right way.
SMS group stands for future-oriented technology and outstanding service in plant construction and mechanical engineering for the metals industry. SMS uses 150 years of experience and a unique expertise in metallurgy, industrial processes, and digitalization to create new perspectives for the industry through continuous innovation – also beyond its core business. SMS is the right partner for challenging projects and consistently harness new potential for its customers throughout the entire life cycle of their plant and equipment. SMS works close with partners to fulfill its role as a pioneer on the road to a sustainable and carbon-neutral metals industry. As a global player with German roots and a family of over 14,000 employees, SMS takes responsibility for our industry and for society as a whole seriously.
DP World is the leading provider of smart logistics solutions, helping trade flow across the globe. DP World’s global network spans across 295 business units in 78 countries, made up of logistics terminals, marine services, ports and economic zones. Wherever they operate, DP World integrates sustainability and responsible corporate citizenship, striving for a positive contribution to the economies and communities where we live and work. Their dedicated, diverse and professional team of more than 97,500 employees are committed to bringing every customer and partner unrivaled value. They do this by building and growing long lasting relationships – with governments, shippers, traders, and other stakeholders.